Wednesday, June 3, 2020

So you fell off the wagon...

I made an interesting discovery recently.

Having had a rough couple of weeks health-wise I am very sensitive to anything that makes me feel better - even by a small amount. On a particularly bad day I was interested to note that eating an enormous bowl of zero rated foods appeared to effect a positive bump to my sense of well being. Specifically, the fatigue lifted just a little, my breathing improved and walking across the room was no longer something to be dreaded. 

Unsure if this was a coincidence, I have tried this tactic several times and each time have been rewarded with a significant improvement in symptoms. Not only is this a reminder that eating zero rated foods is the best choice for me right now, but it also made me realise that falling off the wagon food-wise is not the end of the world and can be rectified to a certain extent. The main point I guess I am trying to make is that even if adhering strictly to a low histamine diet is not your thing, there could be benefit in adding as many zero rated foods to your diet as possible.

Perhaps similar to a FODMAP intolerance, tipping my dietary balance in favour of low histamine is the key to easing my way back to a normal diet when the time is right. Yes, I definitely live in hope that once I reduce my histamine load - and therefore my symptoms - I might once again enjoy the taste of chocolate and home-made lasagne.

One can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment