Sunday, May 17, 2020

Beetroot/beet chips

We have a lot of movie nights on the couch, which is the place I am most famous for my snacking.  I can often be seen rummaging through cupboards prior to the movie starting, on the lookout for something I can mindlessly shovel into my mouth as we watch. Shredded iceberg lettuce and air-popped pocorn are my regulars nowadays, but on this night I was craving something a little bit different.

Enter beetroot/beet chips!

I had one large beetroot/beet left in the fridge which I peeled and then sliced very finely with a mandoline. Of course the slicing can also be done with a knife, but the thinner the slices, the faster they will dehydrate. The slices went into the dehydrator which I turned up to full power as I like to cook my foods as quickly as possible to keep histamine development to a minimum. A low oven would also work, perhaps set to fan forced and with the beetroot on racks or spread in roasting tins in a single layer.

There is no set cooking time - mine took a couple of hours but it will depend on the method you use and also how finely you have sliced the beetroot. I simply checked on mine every half hour to see how they were faring.

The surprise for me was how naturally salty the chips tasted even though I had not added a thing - a revelation given that I am trying to keep my salt intake to a minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment