Wednesday, May 27, 2020

More than just histamine...

I have been quite pleased with my low histamine journey - following the guidelines the majority of the time and being rewarded with better health on most days. So yesterday came as a bit of a shock when, seemingly out of nowhere, my symptoms returned with a vengeance. 

Thankfully I always record what I eat and so I scanned my diet from the previous day. The only anomaly I spotted was the generous bowl of my beautiful quinoa porridge. When I scanned back a bit further, I noticed that I also had an increase in symptoms the day after my last quinoa porridge breakfast.

Quinoa is listed as a safe food with regard to histamine and so it now seems very likely that I may also have a problem with oxalates. Most foods high in oxalates are not listed as safe foods anyway, but sadly this now also means I may need to restrict or eliminate quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes and beetroot from my diet. 

Anybody else following a low histamine journey should keep oxalates in mind as a potential issue and should absolutely keep a food journal to help identify triggers. 

Onward and upward! x

No comments:

Post a Comment